Our award-winning high school program guides and challenges students to become caretakers of Colorado's natural resources.
Founded in 2008, Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado (VOC)'s Cairn Youth Program engages 30+ students throughout the school year in monthly outdoor activities and stewardship projects across the Front Range.
Led by young adult mentors, students develop leadership skills, make new friends, learn about environmental issues facing Colorado, explore career paths, and have a hands-on impact as they plan and lead their own stewardship project (think trail building, planting, habitat restoration and more)!
Applications are closed; check back in May for 2020-21 applications.
- Participate with your friends and make new ones
- Learn about environmental issues facing Colorado and the world
- Gain leadership skills
- Opportunity to apply for the $5,000 Grossman Scholarship
- Fulfill community service hours for school, while being outside
- Build your college resume and earn letters of recommendation
- Learn about careers in natural resources
- Make a REAL IMPACT in caring for Colorado's outdoors
- Aged 14–18 and enrolled in grades 9th–12th
- Must commit to once–per–month activities (September–May)
- An interest in environmental stewardship
- Students may participate over multiple years, though annual applications are required
- Make a tangible difference in the lives of Colorado youth and strengthen their connection to the outdoors
- Help youth learn about the environment and outdoor stewardship in a fun and engaging way
- Learn more about the environmental issues facing Colorado and the world
- Bolster your resume and build leadership skills
- Prior experience working with and leading youth
- Successfully complete application (with 3 references), interview and background check
- Cairn Mentor Orientation (2 Hours)
- Commit to the program for the academic year (September through May)
- Attend monthly meetings and projects (7-10 hour/month commitment)
- Mentors may serve for several years as long as you remain a strong mentor in the program.