A crumpled soda can. Doggie bags lining the side of the trail.
Is this the Colorado we want to leave behind?
Wilder doesn't think so. Part-yeti, part-mountain goat, this gentle giant calls the outdoors home, and he wants humans to enjoy it with him. But lately, he's noticed some not-so-nice behavior out on the trails. So he's teamed up with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado (VOC) to encourage us all to think twice about how we behave when playing outside.
Part of Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO)'s Generation Wild, Wilder traveled the state this summer to remind children and families of the magic and wonder in nature. Now, he's helping us learn how to not just enjoy Colorado's wonderful outdoor places, but how to take care of them, too.
After all, we are what we leave behind.
So how can you leave behind something better?
- Follow Wilder's easy tips for outdoor etiquette:
- Stay on trail.
- Pick up after yourself and others. If you see garbage, pick it up!
- This applies to poop too.
- Respect wildlife and keep a safe distance.
- Remember, you are what you leave behind. So leave a great legacy of love for the outdoors.
- Check out "Wilder Weekend" events, where you can meet Wilder and score some cool, stewardship-themed swag like stickers and "Crapsules" (for packing out that pesky dog poop).
- Saturday, 10/12: Stewardship Shindig @ New Terrain Brewing Co. (1:30 PM - 6:30 PM)
- Sunday, 10/13: Pumpkin Festival @ Denver Botanic Gardens Chatfield Farms (8:30 AM - 1:30 PM)
- Friday, 10/18: Enchanted Hollows Bigfoot Festival @ Denver Zoo (4:30 PM - 9:30 PM)
- Saturday, 10/19: REI Garage Sale @ Denver Flagship Store (9:00 AM - 10:30 AM)
- Sunday, 11/3: Day of the Dead 5K @ Denver Wash Park (9:00 AM - 11:00 AM)
- Stay tuned to generationwild.com/meet-wilder for more events as they are added.
- Join the Generation Wild Facebook Group for outdoor adventure and stewardship tips.
- Learn more about outdoor stewardship and how to get involved with groups like Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado at voc.org/get-involved.